The Department of Motor Vehicles keeps vehicle ownership records, which it forwards to the city Assessor’s office to maintain the motor vehicle Grand List. The DMV will continue to send ownership reports to the city on a vehicle until the license plates are turned in. To remove a car from the tax rolls, cancel your registration, return the plates to a DMV office and take the return receipt to the Assessor’s office.